Learn How To Manage Distractions
Too often, people start meditating but give up soon after because they can not seem to focus or quiet their mind. It can be challenging to consider meditation when your mind moves from one thought to the next at the speed of light. When your mind is very distracted, you may find that you are more prone to accidents and making silly mistakes. These secret strategies can help you prevent distractions and improve concentration.
Minimizing Inner Distractions
- Get more sleep. Research shows that most people function best on eight to nine hours of sleep per night. It is a great rule to follow. Your brain requires time to rest, recover, and process information, so you can go out and give your best the next day too. A distracted mind is a warning sign that you may be sleep-deprived.
- Nutrition and Exercise. When your body is healthy, so is your mind. Thirty minutes of exercise per day is optimal. Make sure you eat a balanced, healthy and nutritious diet. Drink plenty of water.
- Sit up straight. The position of your spine plays a prominent role in the state of your mind. Maintaining a straight back, neck and head, will keep your mind from distraction. Tighten your core, and relax your shoulders. Draw your shoulders back to align your neck and head.
- Pay attention to your body. Do not remain in a very uncomfortable position, be mindful of your circulation, and listen to your body.
- Relax your Breathing. Diaphragmatic breathing is helpful to refresh the mind and keep you from falling asleep. Often we will begin a meditation with a few deep breaths. There is a reason behind it.
Minimizing Outer Distractions
- Limit your time online. Research has shown that checking emails and social media are the biggest time wasters and distractions from a focused mind. Do not log on until you have finished the essential tasks of the day.
- Less TV and Radio. Leave the TV and radio turned off unless it is something specific you want to listen to or watch. Instead, have quiet time. While not as bad a distraction as being online, TV is still a distraction.
- Mobile phones. Consider turning your phone to silent mode, or even off. Its will limit your reactiveness to incoming information. Unless, of course, you are a doctor on an emergency call. The best thing to do is do regular checks, and respond to messages you need to.
- Set up Quiet Time. Developing systems for your children and co-workers to know when not to interrupt you, goes a long way to helping you focus when you need to. Unless there is an emergency, you must be allowed to concentrate on work, or whatever you choose.
- Create a peaceful environment. A clear desk equals a clear mind. Keep the top three most important things in sight, and mind. Have an overview of a project, but make sure that you are not overwhelmed by too many details of every step of all the things that you will eventually do. It will only slow down your productivity.
Working With Distractions
- Refocus your mind. There will always be something to distract you. By being mindful and disciplined, you will be better at returning to the task at hand, whether meditation or a task that requires you to focus.
- Remain neutral. Non-judgement is a form of learning to remain non-attachment. It is one of the keys to mastering meditation and the flow of your daily life. You will notice that there are times when you are extremely focused, and others when you are not. Relax, don’t judge, simply observe.
- Just chill. You may still hear your surroundings when you’re deep in meditation. Being aware of your surroundings is okay. Just relax and let them go.
- Recurring thoughts. While you are learning to let thoughts go, recurring thoughts could indicate an underlying issue that needs addressing. See if you can identify, what is the root of the recurring thought.
Life is full of distractions. And at the same time, those very distractions are there to help you become more focused. They will help you train your mind to be one-pointed. They will increase your level and ability to concentrate if you know how to utilize them. Learn to still your mind, and you will unlock the secret power that lies within.